Tuesday, October 6, 2009

All time faves

I recently met a couple of friends who were out of the movie loop and were wondering if I had any recommendations as far as movies go - as I was listing some recent movies they could watch, I decided to come up with a top 10 movie list.

My Top 10 Hollywood movies in no particular order:
1. Speed (1 not the sequel) - don't ask me why - I watched this flick 10 times - loved the chemistry between Keanu and Sandra Bullock
2. Say Anything - A very precocious movie about opposites attracting
3. When Harry met Sally - love the idea of destiny bringing you to the same person again and again.
4. Terms of Endearment - keep those tissues handy - you will need them.
5. Steel Magnolias - see note about tissues above.
6. Crash - what a unique concept - loved this movie.
7. The Holiday with Kate Winslet and Cameron Diaz
8. Diary of a mad black woman/Why did I get married - both movies by Tyler Perry - I liked the quirkiness of both movies.
9. Top Gun - fell in love with Tom Cruise - of course this was much much much before the couch jumping antics.
10. Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants - Part I - I watched it on the recommendation of a very good pal/relative and I loved it.

Now that my top 10 Hollywood list is done, I suddenly remember a ton of movies that could have made the list but since I had to limit it to 10 (and I know I cheated by adding 11) I have to at least give these an honorable mention - The Magnificent 7, While you were Sleeping, Juno, The Family Stone, Mr. & Mrs. Smith (for its sass), He's Just not that into you, Pretty Woman, 3 Fugitives (haven't watched this in a long time but I remember it being a very funny flick), Ghost, The Bourne series, Sleepless in Seattle, The Hangover, this tiny movie called Slumdog Millionaire, The Sound of Music (one of the earliest movies I remember watching - this was probably what started my love affair with movies) and the list goes on and on and on.

So if you read this post, leave me some of your favorite all-time flicks!

4 comments:

  1. Have to agree with many of your selections..
    Ah! The Sound of Music!! I used to rent this movie EVERY TIME (and by this I MEAN Every.Single.Time. :D)I went to the video store...so much so tht the video guy used to pull the casette out as soon as he saw my balmy head! :p :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha ha - how funny - but yeah, it is a timeless classic. I recently saw part of the movie on ABC and it was as much fun as I remember.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The all time list is a very very difficult thing to come up with...on one hand you obviously have your classics...shawshank redemption, saving private ryan ..(you know the usual....)..but i guess the way i would look at top 10 would be at what pt in your life did you watch it and how did it effect you...
    in that regards
    1) chitty chitty bang bang...this was probably the first hollywood movie i saw (or remember) during the days when doordarshan was king and going to sterling/new empire/regal was like making a trip to Paris and man was i hooked to movies after that.

    2) The 36th Chamber of Shaolin---the first and still the greatest action movie i can never forget..also the first time that our colony had a english movie(actually chinese) played on the street (still remember the giant screen between 2 buildings) right after satyanarayan pooja

    3) Gods must be crazy - best comedy movie till date

    4) Star Wars (doesnt need any explanation) best sci fi movie ever

    5) Good Bad Ugly - it was funny walking around with a starw hat bent like a cowboy hat on the streets of ghatkopar

    6) Back to the future - made me want to come to US and goto the prom

    7) Commando - Joined Bal Vikas Vyayamshala right after..was pumping some serious iron alongside mangu patil and appa dabke

    8)Matrix - finally felt kewl to be a comp sci grad..

    9) Saving Private Ryan- cried rather bawled so loud in the theater, that i had to be hushed by entire row

    10) Summer of 42 - well this movie deserves special mention of being the first "A" Hollywood movie seen...

    well there you go..my top 10 memorable...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those are quite a few good movies you have there Shree - jogged my memory - Shawshank Redemption was definitely awesome. Matrix - probably liked part 1 the best. I haven't seen #1, 2, and 6 - need to add those to my Netflix list. Am laughing out imagining your actions in #5 and #7.

    ReplyDelete