Tuesday, September 15, 2009

My big fat Greek tv marathon

It took me the better part of 3 weekends but am finally caught up with Season 3 of the ABC Family tv show Greek. Never having been a part of undergrad college life in the US, I was not exposed to the 'Greek' way of fraternities and sororities etc. So one weekend when I was sleeping at all odd hours due to jetlag, out of sheer curiosity, I decided to start watching Greek on Hulu.

I didn't think that I would be too engrossed in this show since, well, let's face it, I'm not exactly the demographic for this series (ABC family - teens and their hapless parents maybe?) but I was pleasantly surprised. The show follows the lives of the 4 main protagonists - college students Casey Cartwright (played by Spencer Grammer and yes if you recognize her last name, she is the daughter of Frasier's Kelsey Grammer and looks a lot like him too), her geeky brother Rusty Cartwright, Evan Chambers (played by the handsome Jake McDorman) and "Cappie" (played by the adorable Scott Michael Foster; Cappie also has the best lines on the show) - as they balance student life and academics with their respective sororities and fraternities. The show is thoroughly entertaining, the dynamics between the characters are believable (what with Casey being so embarrassed about him, that she has never mentioned her younger brother Rusty, or the relationship between BFFs Casey and Ashleigh - they're always there for each other - minor tiffs notwithstanding), the chemistry between the leads (the triangle between Casey, Cappie and Evan) is palpable and all in all enjoyable fare. The supporting characters also do a fabulous job - my current favourites are Dale - who can help loving him and Ashleigh. As we follow the characters through the various rituals such as hazing, friendly competitions between fellow Greek houses, first loves and heartbreaks, one can't help but get a little involved.

This show took me back to my college days when events that seem so silly/trivial 10 years later took precedence over our lives back then - at the same time, college was also where we experienced the first taste of relative independence after 12 years of school and got to meet and interact with people from vastly different backgrounds. It's a story about growing up, making mistakes and finding your own way through this big, crazy maze called life. So, my recommendation - if you have some time to spare and want to watch a show that has dollops of good humour and the potential to take you down memory lane, do watch it!!

4 comments:

  1. I agree with everything you said about Greek.
    It's a light smart guilty pleasure, very likable.
    The actors have awesome chemistry.
    My favorites are Cappie, Evan, Casey, Calvin and the adorable Dale !

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the Cappie and Casey pairing - hopefully we see more of that this season!
    VP

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay!! I'm guilty too. Thanks to you V!! My fav - hmmmm, that's hard but in addition to one of the leads Cappie, I'm going to vote for Beaver and Dale. You gotta respect the Beav!!

    - PS

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree PS - Beaver is really funny too. Can't wait for the new episode.

    ReplyDelete