Sunday, November 15, 2009

My Sunday - all 'Fired Up'

This morning the hubby and I were flipping through channels and chanced upon 'Fired Up' - I wasn't sure that I wanted to watch another almost but not quite teen movie but we watched it anyway and I must say that it was surprisingly good.

The plot is all about 2 football jocks Shawn and Nick (played by Nicholas D'Agusto and Eric Christian Olsen) who hatch a fool-proof plan to meet girls and brighten their prospects, so to speak, by entering Cheer leading camp. While the plot is a bit cliched with their team being the underdogs and the boys actually bringing with them some much needed spirit and attitude to brighten their chances at the competition, the dialogue is very witty and better than most other teen movies I've seen. Of course the movie ends with the good guy getting the girl and the team not finishing up in last place as they've been wont to do in the past (which was another refreshing change from the run-of-the-mill movie ending which would have seen them finish in top spot).

I actually loved the chemistry between the 2 boys who play friends - their comic timing and dialogue delivery were on the mark. The crazy coach and the other men at cheer leading camp provided comic relief as well. On the whole, worth a watch if you are looking for a light but very funny comedy. As is my blogging tradition, here are some of my favourite lines from the movie:

Nick Brady: Hiya Dick.
Dr. Rick: It's Rick!
Nick Brady: Ah, sorry, I don't know why I keep doing that. You just look like such a Dick to me.

Nick Brady: [reading her nametag] Diora? I believe that's Italian for 'beautiful princess'.
Diora: No.
Nick Brady: Well it should be, I'm calling the dictionary people.

Dr. Rick: [after Downey punches Dr. Rick in the face] I hope one of you ends up in my ER one day, bleeding. I'll make you wait for days. Unless one of you has Blue Cross. That's a PPO, none of that HMO bullshit!

Dr. Rick: [holding up his hands] If these weren't tools for healing, I would crack you in the jaw.
Nick Brady: YOU'RE a tool for healing.

Coach Keith: Mediocrity deserves an applause - why don't we find a Ford Focus and clap around it?

Dr. Rick: You should get that mole checked out. I'd do it myself, but I don't have my bag on me.
Shawn Colfax: Your book bag?

Nick Brady: Do not poop where you eat, remember? That's why there are no restaurants called "The Bathroom."

No comments:

Post a Comment