Saturday, December 12, 2009

2009 Bollywood - year in review




Back from the hubby's company Christmas party last night, this morning promises to be a lazy Saturday morning. Since the year is almost over, I was going over a program on TV listing their top picks for Bollywood for the year 2009 which gave me the idea to review my own picks for this year - now by no means can I claim to have watched each and every Bollywood flick released last year but of my own population of movies viewed, here is my list.

Most entertaining movies of 2009 (in no particular order):
1. Kaminey (stellar performance from Shahid Kapoor and great songs - what is a Bollywood movie without hummable music)

2. Wake Up Sid (loved Ranbir and Konkona in it - one of the few movies that has established Ranbir Kapoor as a force to reckon with despite his disastrous debut in 2008, loved the iktaara song from it - my current obsession)

3. Love Aaj Kal (while the story was a bit confusing with its back and forth flashbacks what with Saif essaying the role of a young Rishi Kapoor in addition to his own role in the movie - it was quite entertaining. I'm still not convinced that Deepika Padukone can act and am completely convinced that Saif cannot dance - if you don't believe me watch his bhangra numbers and the twist karein song - terrible dancing!! I'm glad the movie introduced us to the Chor Bazaari song - loved it.)

4. 99 - Small movie with Kunal Khemu and Soha Ali Khan in the lead ably supported by Cyrus Broacha and Boman Irani - I'm only sad that this movie got lost among the myriad of flicks released in 2009.

5. Luck By Chance - introduced us to first-time director Zoya Akhtar. (This is one heck of a multi-talented family. Mom Honey Irani, actress & script writer, Dad Javed Akhtar script writer and lyricist extraordinaire, brother Farhan - awesome director who proved to us that he can also sing and act)

6. Dilli 6 - I found the movie to be a let down (coming as it was from the director of Rang De Basanti). However I enjoyed Sonam Kapoor's acting skills and the songs (zara hatke gaane especially Masakali and the title song)

7. Dev D - people either loved it or hated it - I kind of liked the modern take on Indian classic Devdas - I am a huge fan of Abhay Deol - he is amazing. The movie felt like it was made on a shoestring budget but I enjoyed the slick direction, the folksy songs and the acting of Mr. Deol. He is my favourite Deol hands down.

Now for the films that one goes what were they thinking?

1. What's Your Rashee - complete disappointment
2. Chandni Chowk to China - the less said the better
3. Kambakht Ishq - another Akshay Kumar gem
In addition to these there is a large number of movies that I didn't even want to watch based on everything I heard - the 3 hours of my life spent watching each of these is much too precious to waste - Billu, 13B, Short kut the Con is on, Wanted, Blue, London Dreams (although I have heard some good things about this movie but since I am not a fan of Ajay Devgan or Sallu bhai, I have to pass), De Dana Dan (rule of thumb - movie has Akshay Kumar? If yes, this is not the movie for me), Radio (Himmesh Reshammiya in the lead - enough said)etc.

Some of the 2009 movies on my yet to watch list - Paa, Kurbaan, Main aur Mrs. Khanna (though I have a gut feeling this will go on the second list), Three Idiots, and Rocket Singh (maybe)

If you stop by this blog, leave me your faves and not so faves from this year that is passing us by!!

5 comments:

  1. You might like Billu. Simple story and good performances. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I saw Paa yesterday..It was ok. Storyline could have been a bit stronger though. Amitabh and Abhishek were good :) Vidya Balan was as irritating as ever.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmm... Poor Vidya Balan - is not having a good year. I knew her in school too - sweet girl. Hope 2010 is better for her

    I may watch Billu now... I guess I am super irritated with all the songs... but I will give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i want to write my picks but lately i have been very bad with names. There is this one movie of Abhay Deol where he is a small time thief you should watch it. i will try to remember the name and let you know. And if your a fan of AD i am sure you have seen Manorama 6 feet under. i am not sure which year was that movie but very interesting. Must watch.
    there are a few movies from your list that i need to catch up on.
    BTW i love miss padukon i think that she has been given or i should say she has selected the same style movies. so her acting seems monotonous. But i think she has potential.
    And I actually liked Ranbir in his first movie (again don't remember the name) And now that i am trying to think i don't think i finished watching Wake up sid.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mamata - I know the movie you are talking about - Oye Lucky Lucky Oye for some reason I watched it in bits and pieces so could not fully appreciate it. Regarding Deepika, yeah I am yet to figure out if she has acting chops - maybe her next movie with Farhan Akhtar may do the trick.

    ReplyDelete