Thursday, December 24, 2009

2009 - the year that was.

My last post for 2009 because tonight the hubby and I get on a plane and head to the other coast to meet up with family for the holidays... Before that, here are some of the highlights (and some low-lights) of 2009 (boy was it tough to pick just a few moments from the myriad of events making up 2009).

In no particular order:
1. Susan Boyle - Without a doubt, she was the biggest surprise of 2009 - the skepticism of the audience and judges on Britain's got Talent, before she opened her mouth to sing, was very palpable as was the shock and awe once she started singing. Here is a link to her video if you want to revisit that first performance.

2. Slumdog Millionaire's million dollar run at the 2009 Oscar's - this little movie that could, came out of nowhere in 2008 and bagged a total of 8 Oscars out of 10 nominations in March 2009. For me, I was just happy that the movie introduced the genius that is AR Rehman to the world.

3. It was a sad year too for the world saw the demise of Michael Jackson, Farah Fawcett, Brittany Murphy, David Carradine, and many others. But the show must go on.

4. I bet Kanye West completely regrets that cringe-worthy moment at the 2009 VMAs when he ran on stage, completely out of control, and grabbed the mike from teen Taylor Swift to add his 2 cents about Beyonce. This move caused many seasoned stars to show their support to Taylor Swift via their blogs and Twitter. This incident almost helped catapult Taylor Swift to stardom (she was already on her way there - this incident gave her a major push so in some twisted way she has Kanye West to thank).

5. And no 2009 list will be complete without the mention of Octomom and the debacle that is Jon and Kate plus 8 - first, let's start with Octomom. This woman is truly insane. And the sad part is that she is responsible for the welfare of 14 innocent kids. Here are some snippets of her interview on NBC. All I can say at this point is God help those kids. Now on to Jon and Kate - I actually was a fan of this show before all the craziness began. I thought Kate was a bit high-handed but on the other hand she was responsible for 8 kids and her household. I get stressed when I invite a few folks over for dinner so can just imagine the effort to have dinner on the table everyday for 10 people. That said though, the couple did not handle the divorce gracefully. Both of them came off as complete idiots who are after fame and money. I just hope the 8 kids get through all this public scrutiny okay.

So that folks was my highlights list for 2009. Leave me a comment and let me know if you had any other noteworthy moments to list.

Happy Holidays and wish you a lovely and wonderful 2010.

No comments:

Post a Comment