Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Ah the romance!!

Pretty woman playing on TV - loved the movie and the memories it brought back. My really really good friend and I watched this when we were in the 9th Standard with her neighbour who was in college at the time.

We had an idea of what this movie was and knew it wasn't something our parents would gladly allow us to watch :) - (Can't believe I am blogging about this but..) we snuck out one summer afternoon and rented it from one of the two video shops in Chembur - watched it at my friend's place because her parents would be at work. Boy was the movie good - we were not disappointed!!! It was everything fairy tales are made of - poor girl meets rich boy; rich boy falls for her and they fall in love and a few misunderstandings later, live happily ever after. Besides the romance (which I am a big sucker for), I loved the witty dialogues, the acting, loved loved loved the 2 leads and Hector Elizondo and the outfits (who can forget JR in the gorgeous red gown ready for the opera). This movie was the movie that put Julia Roberts on the map - she had done a few good movies by then - Mystic Pizza, and Steel Magnolias to name a couple but with this movie there was no denying her "superstardom".

Truth be told, the plot of the movie may be a bit far fetched but I highly recommend this to anyone that loves a good romantic flick. And if you've already watched it, well... watch it again I say :)

2 comments:

  1. I liked Pretty Woman (along with the rest of the world), I just couldn't see what was so romantic about it.

    A great FANTASY movie, sure, at least for women. But glamor fantasy, not romantic fantasy. Just like "Devil Wears Prada", which I loved.

    So what am I missing?

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's about 2 people who come from completely different worlds finding their place with each other. I suppose it's the fact that they overcome apparent incompatibility and find a way to be together that got me - and the fact that each changes for the better because of the other. The fantasy is also what's appealing about it.

    ReplyDelete