Wednesday, July 22, 2009

So you think you can Ellen?

Surprise Surprise - 2 blogs in one day (like it or not :P) - I clearly have too much time on my hands and watch too much tv!!

Tonight saw Ellen as the celebrity guest judge on So you think you can dance so naturally I had to blog since I love both shows - so it was a nice treat to see Ellen on my favourite reality tv show after American Idol. But before I forget, tomorrow's show sees the return of past contestants and dance numbers that took us by storm. It will be awesome to see what past contenders have been up to.

The show opened with a number by past contestant Travis - it was a back to the future kind of a number with all dancers - am not sure what to make of it - I'm still deciding if I liked it or not.

So, without much ado, let's look at the partnerships of the night:
Evan & Jeanette - Sonia strikes again - this choreographer is just brilliant. She gave them an awesome jazz number. For the second number, they had the rumba (I think - my DVR was acting up this evening - probably the overload - poor thing!!) - super hot. Jeanette was not my favourite contestant when the show began but I must say that she can do anything she is asked to - she's growing on me. Evan is good but he doesn't have the 'It' factor.
Brandon picked Jeanine - They had a waltz by Hunter Johnson. Not the smoothest lift I've seen on the show - its like his hand got stuck at her butt among the ten thousand folds of her dress - but all in all, as waltzes go, it was a dreamy, magical dance though the judges didn't quite like it. They redeemed themselves with their second routine - pop jazz. They were goooooood.
Melissa and Ade - Can they recreate the magic of past episodes? Suffice it to say, they did!! The cha-cha was a little slow but super sexy. Mia was not too complimentary to Ade. Actually, I think the judges are a little more harsh on the contestants since it is the top 8 now. Their second number was emotional - the judges were visibly moved. Tyce is good - can't believe he is the same choreographer that thought up the first Broadway routine that Jason and Kayla did.
Jason and Kayla - Broadway - liked the theme - I liked this pair - couldn't take my eyes off them - Fabulous!! Their second routine was a Shane Sparks hip-hop routine. I personally think that the night belonged to this couple.

Solos: Liked Jason, Kayla is getting repetitive (though the judges love love love her), Ade was repetitive too, Jeanette is still awesome, Melissa's solo was not fiery for me, Evan - cute and goofy but was it enough to keep him in, not sure, Jeanine's solo will keep her in and Brandon - superb technically but he is the guy I keep forgetting - not sure if that is the general reaction to him.

Loved Ellen on the panel - she kept the entertainment quotient up :) Host Cat Deeley looked great in gold. Mary Murphy, when she is not screeching, actually makes sense - how I wish she did not yell all the time! Mia was her bitchy self most of the time, Nigel was um.. same old same old.

My picks to leave tomorrow - sadly, I think its Evan and among the gals I think it might be Melissa and not because they don't dance well but because someone just has to go.

No comments:

Post a Comment