Saturday, July 11, 2009

The Holiday

Maybe its because I am off for a holiday of my own in 2 weeks, but when I saw the movie playing on TV, I set my DVR to record it (have I ever mentioned how much I love my DVR? It's fabulous - a TV lover like me cannot imagine life without it - never ever miss your fave programs again). Got back from a day spent running errands and made myself a hot cup of coffee and plonked myself in front of my TV and started the movie.

In a nutshell, the movie is about 2 women who've reached dead ends in their personal lives and impulsively decide to swap homes for 2 weeks - one lives in England (Iris, played by Kate Winslet) and the other in LA (Amanda, played by Cameron Diaz). Iris is unable to get over her unrequited love for a co-worker who seems to take full advantage of it. Amanda makes trailers for movies for a living and has just kicked out her boyfriend who was cheating on her. Needless to say, both women are disappointed with the men in their lives. The movie is about what happens in the following 2 weeks that the women explore new surroundings and meet new people. Iris befriends an old Hollywood screenwriter and ends up falling in love with a composer Miles who's been through some love disappointment of his own. Amanda meets Graham, Iris's brother and falls in love with him.

The main reason I love watching this movie (did I mention that this is probably the 3rd time I am watching this film?) is because it is so hopeful. The inherent message of the movie is that anything can happen - give life a chance. 2 women with seemingly unhappy lives find happy endings of their own. Some lines I absolutely love in this movie:

Arthur Abbott: Iris, in the movies we have leading ladies and we have the best friend. You, I can tell, are a leading lady, but for some reason you are behaving like the best friend.
Iris: You're so right. You're supposed to be the leading lady of your own life, for god's sake! Arthur, I've been going to a therapist for three years, and she's never explained things to me that well. That was brilliant. Brutal, but brilliant.
(I found this line brilliant myself.)

Miles (reaching over Iris to grab something off a restaurant counter): That was accidental. Accidental boob graze. I'm sorry.
Iris: Changing subject

Miles: You with me, Simpkins?
Iris: Miles. You really are an incredibly decent man.
Miles: I know. It's always been my problem.

Kate Winslet essays her role really well as usual. Cam does a good job. Jack Black, for once, is seen in a normal role - not one that requires comic timing. So if you get a chance, do watch it!! 2 thumbs up :)

2 comments:

  1. Test Comment: ;)
    "I like corny.
    I'm looking for corny in my life." :p

    [I too watched it for the 3rd time a couple of days bck! :D Luv the film n' Kate's role! :)]

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha ha - I remember that line too :) It truly is a little gem of a movie!

    ReplyDelete